The Financial Aid and Scholarship Office provides quality educational financing options, while delivering consistent, equitable, and timely services to student aid applicants at San José State University. In addition to federal and state funding, the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office connects students with campus scholarship opportunities and other off campus resources.
- Apply annually for financial aid beginning January 1. The 2013-2014 FAFSA is now available. Priority filing: March 2
- To be considered for maximum funding, all requested financial aid documents must be submitted by Friday,May 31.
- To qualify for a tuition fee deferral and prevent enrollment cancellation, all requested financial aid documents must be submitted by Friday, July 19.
- Summer Financial Aid: Document submission deadline: June 11
- View information on the IRS Data Retrieval and Step-by-Step Instructions on the IRS Data Retrieval Process.
- Fall and Spring aid disbursement begins on a weekly basis starting the first week of each semester.
- Disbursement of funds may be held for several reasons such as, admission status, not enrolled in sufficient number of units, academic progress holds, missing information, etc.
Tuition Fee Deferral
Fee deferrals protect course enrollment and delays the payment of tuition fees. Fee deferrals are temporary and are removed at the beginning of each semester. To prevent enrollment cancellation, all requested financial aid documents must be submitted to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office by the scheduled fee payment deadline. The financial aid tuition fee deferral does not apply to housing charges.
Dream Act - AB 131
The passage of part two of AB130 bill now allows undocumented (immigrant) students to qualify for California state grant programs. The bill went into effect January 2013. Visit the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) website for additional information and access to the Dream Act Application. Also view California Dream Act of 2011 Q&A.
Online Learning - Spartan Success Portal
Online workshops aimed at helping students succeed. All workshops are confidential, informational and available 24/7. There are workshops on Academic & Career Exploration, Reading & Writing Strategies, Personal Management, and Learning to Learn. To join a workshop, click on Spartan Success Portal.